What is a bad credit auto loan?
It might sound a little obvious, but a bad credit loan is a great option for car shoppers who have bad credit and cannot obtain a loan through a conventional lending source. This special type of credit is available to shoppers whose credit problems have prevented them from being approved for a loan by credit unions, banks, and car manufacturer financing companies. When you first take out a bad credit loan, it will usually be funded by the auto dealership that sells you your vehicle; after some time, your loan will be assigned to an outside finance company. In some cases, a third party might service your bad credit loan.
Can I qualify for a bad credit loan?
To qualify for a bad credit auto loan, there are a few criteria you need to meet. However, these have nothing to do with your credit score:
- You must be employed full-time or have a fixed income guaranteed for the length of your loan
- Your income must be at least $1500/month
- You must be a current resident of Georgia
- You must be able to provide proof of residence (utility bill, credit card statement, etc.)
- You must be an American citizen or legal resident
- You must have current auto insurance or be able to purchase coverage at time of sale
- You must have a valid phone number
Who cannot qualify for bad credit loans?
Shoppers who do not or cannot meet the minimum requirements listed above, military members currently stationed outside of North America, seasonal or temporary employees, and shoppers who have no proof of income (i.e. paid under the table) cannot qualify for a bad credit loan.